House Rules Re: [FoRK] The drum beat continues

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Mon Nov 20 15:41:19 PST 2006

"Dr. Ernie Prabhakar" <drernie at radicalcentrism.org>:
>As far as I can tell, Dawkins is motivated by "faith in the
>scientific method" in precisely the same way his adversaries are motivated
>by "faith in God." You can't see the scientific method any more than I can
>see God (perhaps less :-P), but that doesn't mean neither of them are real.

I would posit that there is no such thing as "the scientific
method." If there were, we would be at an end of all methodological
research. Clearly, we aren't. There are, of course, a variety of
methods in the scientific fields for research and analysis. They
all are abstractions invented by humans. In this sense, you're
absolutely correct that the Christian god is every bit as real: it
also is an abstraction invented by humans, as far as I can tell.

>As a physicist, I have great faith in the scientific method and the power
>of mathematics to explain the universe..

That's a very strange thing for a physicist to say. I would expect
a physicist, or any scientist really, to be continually thinking of
ways to TEST the fit between model and reality.

>And I work extremely hard to ensure my faith in God remains just as
>theoretically rigorous  and empirically sound as my other beliefs..

I'm skeptical. How exactly to you empirically test that belief? You
could have avoided much of the side discussion by beginning
with that.