[FoRK] teachable moment

Corinna < corinna.schultz at gmail.com > on > Mon Nov 20 15:54:12 PST 2006

So I was repairing a stuffed zebra for my 6yo. The seams along its belly
and legs had come loose, and as I was sewing, I remarked that the zebra
would have a stomach ache for a while. She told me that it wasn't the
zebra's belly - I was really fixing the area where it peed.

Homeschooler that I am, every moment is potentially a springboard into a
mini-lesson, so we had a brief anatomy discussion, which somehow turned
into a comparison of baby dogs, mice, rabbits, and hares, and which ones
are born hairless and blind, and so on.

My daughter surprises me sometimes... I'm helping my son learn the times
table up to 25, and she insisted on memorizing them too. So she's
learning to multiply up to 10, and doing a pretty good job of it.

-Corinna