House Rules Re: [FoRK] The drum beat continues

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Mon Nov 20 15:56:01 PST 2006

"Dr. Ernie Prabhakar" <drernie at radicalcentrism.org>:
>Sure, we can have *confidence* in our assumptions if we've seen them proved
>true _within_ our realm of experience, but to extrapolate beyond them is
>*always* an act of faith..

It's an act of faith only if one asserts or believes as knowledge
what isn't. There's no reason to do that. It's true that we
continually act on partial knowledge, in the face of all sorts of
possibilities that might thwart our plans. That's not a
philosophical problem, but just a fact of life. It becomes a
philosophical problem only when one tries to pretend otherwise.

>.. science never gets "proof"  that we have the "one right" answer, we just
>invent hypotheses that explain the facts better than anything that precedes
>them..

Good.

>The short answer (which even if trite is still true) is that I  believe in
>Christianity for the same reason I believe in science: though deeply
>flawed, both work much better -- for a longer period of time -- than any of
>the other alternatives that have been tried.

What facts does the Christian god explain?