[FoRK] flatlanders discussing the 3rd dimension

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Mon Nov 20 16:38:13 PST 2006

"Strata R. Chalup" <strata at virtual.net>:
>So, I ask both the science and the faith oriented folks, what
>would it mean TO YOU PERSONALLY if the other viewpoint were true? For the
>faith folks, if there were no $deity.  For the science folks, if science
>were true but the rules had been set up by a $deity.

It's a good question. From my viewpoint, the answer would be: it
would mean nothing at all, unless some red pill is found. Yes,
it might be the case that behind the physics of this world is
an entirely different world, that is executing our physics as
some substrate, according to the desire of some intelligence.
John Bostrom has demonstrated that according to some fairly
reasonable assumptions, our descendants will do this, and thus,
under those assumptions, there is a probability that this world
is a simulation, and those descendants its gods. Other metaworlds
can be imagined.

But if there is no intrusion in our world from the meta-world, it
just doesn't matter to me. Until and unless that window is
discovered, there's not even any way to guess what that meta-world
might be like, or its gods who created this world.

My answer is different if you ask the question: What difference
would it make if Christianity were true? But if Christianity were
true, there should be such a window. Instead, there are only
Christians.