[FoRK] flatlanders discussing the 3rd dimension

Bill Humphries < bill at whump.com > on > Mon Nov 20 17:45:22 PST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 5:10 PM, Strata R. Chalup wrote:

> Why not?  Or, if it's easier, why does human action matter in the
> absence of a  $deity?  Surely human action matters to other humans
> regardless.  Or does one assume a lack of free will comes
> automatically along with $deity?

Think of Christian eschatology, no matter what humans do, there is a
Final Judgement, the Universe (as we know't) is destroyed, the elect
go to Heaven*, the rest suffer Hell. Humans can't change the end
state, only the bin to which you're sorted.

Humans (or any other sapients) could determine that the Universe is
close/finite/a tasty snack for Galacticus, but in the long run, their
actions do not matter because god always moves last.

In that universe, as long as god does not forbid nihilism as a
condition for salvation, there's no reason not to be one.

* That is smoothing over many denominational differences over what
what behaviors get you sorted where, and many of those behaviors have
to do with how you treat your fellow sapients, but I'm taking a view
from the largest scale.

-- whump