[FoRK] Re: flatlanders discussing the 3rd dimension

Corinna < corinna.schultz at gmail.com > on > Wed Nov 22 11:59:38 PST 2006

Jeff Bone wrote:>
> On Nov 20, 2006, at 7:10 PM, Strata R. Chalup wrote:
>>Surely human action matters to other humans
>> regardless.
 >
> And that's all that should "matter."

My action matters to me.

My spouse and kids are an extension of "myself", so I treat them
decently (albeit I abuse them more than I abuse myself, because their
"me-ness" is weaker than my actual "self"). People outside my family are
more or less "me" depending on the relationship I choose to have with
them. The more "me" they are, the more decently/sympathetically/etc I
treat them.

This can extend to animals. I'm sure there are people that I consider
less "me" than my dog, and so I will treat my dog better than I treat them.

-Corinna