[FoRK] Re: House Rules Re: The drum beat continues

Albert S. < albert.scherbinsky at rogers.com > on > Wed Nov 22 12:51:55 PST 2006

--- Corinna <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Russell Turpin wrote:
> > "Dr. Ernie Prabhakar"
> <drernie at radicalcentrism.org>:
> >> As a physicist, I have great faith in the
> scientific method and the
> >> power of mathematics to explain the universe..
> >
> > That's a very strange thing for a physicist to
> say. I would expect
> > a physicist, or any scientist really, to be
> continually thinking of
> > ways to TEST the fit between model and reality.
>
> This may be a crucial difference. There are people
> who think math
> is/reflects reality, and people who think math is a
> model of reality.

This is nit picking but the way I think of it is Math
in isolation is a tool. It's an interesting thing in
it's own right. But it can be applied to the modelling
of physical phenomenon. Math is like modelling clay,
you need to do some work to turn it into a model. You
can have lots of fun with clay without ever making a
model. But making models is darn useful.

Albert