Science Re: [FoRK] reas. conv. 11/27: Religious War (excerpts)

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Mon Dec 4 08:58:54 PST 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

>> I admire your "faith" in the face of futility. :-)  Seriously.
>
> I appreciate but don't require any admiration of my position, from
> you or anyone else --- though I myself admire your dogged
> insistence that what underlies my point-of-view is faith, despite
> by best attempts to persuade you otherwise.  I'll acknowledge that
> failure on my part, with perhaps one last, hopefully concise, tilt
> at that particular windmill.  Short of success in this attempt, I
> will be forced to concede that it is impossible to pursue this line
> of argument much further, without a tedious and less-than-exciting
> attempt to plumb the depths of some epistemological minutia:

Okay, so perhaps I can't resist tilting at the windmill some more...

One of the most amusing and yet vexing things about arguing non-faith
with believers is their apparent inability to grasp, much less
concede, the difference between "lack of belief" and "belief of
lack."  Apparently their minds are so warped by, and dependent on,
"belief" that they can't grasp the idea that a conscious being could
simply choose *not to fill some "void" in their minds with some form
of belief.*

Consider:  atheism can mean (at least) two things.  It can mean a
lack of belief in the existence of god.  Or it can mean a belief in
the non-existence of god.  Now, those are --- clearly, I hope, for
any reasonable person --- two entirely different things.  Yet they
are frequently confused by believers.  Even the most antagonistic
atheists (i.e. Dawkins) --- at least those of a scientific bent ---
are generally of the former opinion, though with suspicions about the
latter.  As Dawkins puts it (paraphrasing) --- his lack of belief in
the existence of god is not faith in god's non-existence, since he
knows exactly what it would take to change his mind.

What would it take to change YOUR mind about the existence of God,
Dr. Ernie?  I suspect there's nothing that will do that.  And that,
in a nutshell, is the difference between faith and reason, and the
why all your attempts to tar non-believers (or, perhaps more
accurately, faith-rejectors) with the "faith" brush are nothing but BS.

$0.02,

jb