[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/1: MLK on "Love"

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Mon Dec 4 10:29:07 PST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Jeffrey Winter wrote:

> It would be interesting to see what sort of tragedies a belief
> in a purposeless universe coupled with a pathenogenic view of
> other people's beliefs would produce.

The idea that the universe doesn't have any (presumably divine)
"purpose" is not necessarily a source of nihilism.  I find it curious
and vexing that so many theists seems to believe it is.  It points to
something fundamental about religion, I think...

I don't need a "Binker" (imaginary childhood friend, from Milne via
Dawkins) to console or comfort me.  Personally, I'd like to kill the
fucker. ;-)

I don't need any purpose greater than my own to be perfectly happy.

jb