[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/1: MLK on "Love"

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Mon Dec 4 10:37:46 PST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Kevin Elliott wrote:

> Indeed.  The idea that Christianity (or any other religion) has
> some particularly special roll in the long and colorful history of
> humans killing other humans just doesn't carry much water IMHO.
> We've been chopping each other up for a very, very long time.
> Excuses and reasons change, but war is a constant.  Blaming
> religion is just buck passing of the worst sort- in the end SOMEONE
> did the deed and they are the ones responsible.

NOT giving religion its due share of the historical blame is sticking
your head in the sand --- and, as I have asserted and as I believe
--- a luxury humankind can no longer afford.  I'm not blaming
religion for all evil.  I'm just insisting that finally, it must
stand up and take its fair share of the blame, rather than be
accorded some undue deference, respect, and sensitivity.

jb