[FoRK] The Religious Threat of American Christianity --- as described by Sam Harris

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Mon Dec 4 11:13:37 PST 2006

As usual, others have made the point before and better...
"Forty-four percent of the American population is convinced that
Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead sometime in the
next fifty years," writes Sam Harris. "Imagine the consequences if
any significant component of the U.S. government actually believed
that the world was about to end and that its ending would be
glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population
apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religious dogma,
should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency."

    -- Sam Harris, "Letter to a Christian Nation"

Forget the fact that some scarily large part (even if only some few
percent!) of a billion-strong global Muslim "community" is committed
to wiping out modernity and replacing it with a global, medieval
Islamist theocracy.  We should be cognizant of the threat presented
by the increasing political clout of our home-grown irrationalists.

jb