[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/1: MLK on "Love"

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Mon Dec 4 14:19:01 PST 2006

Kevin Elliott <K-Elliott at wiu.edu>:
>The idea that Christianity (or any other religion) has some particularly
>special roll in the long and colorful history of humans killing other
>humans just doesn't carry much water IMHO. We've been chopping each other
>up for a very, very long time. Excuses and reasons change, but war is a
>constant. Blaming religion is just buck passing of the worst sort..

Try this framing: the human proclivity to latch onto ideologies
is a necessary part of the worst exhibitions of violence. While
it isn't any specific religion, nor even always religion in the
traditional sense, *something* usually justifies mass slaughter,
especially when it persists for years. The problem with viewing
it as just a matter of getting rid of religion is that new
ideologies are continually created, and they need not fit the
mold of religion. Communism viewed traditional religion as its
enemy, yet served much the same role. The cultural changes that
might lessen the proclivity is a harder problem than just
ridding ourselves of Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism.