[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/1: MLK on "Love"

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Mon Dec 4 15:04:09 PST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 4:19 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> The problem with viewing
> it as just a matter of getting rid of religion is that new
> ideologies are continually created, and they need not fit the
> mold of religion.

Semi-reasonable response.  We have to find whatever it is, if
anything, that is still a fit adaptation that religion is a side-
effect of, and come up with a way to accomplish that without the side-
effect.

I don't think the problem is ideology per-se --- much harder to
define ideology than religion, I would think.  But you're right:  if
it's a vacuum, it must be filled or --- if created by side-effect of
something else --- replaced with an alternative without such side
effects.

> Communism viewed traditional religion as its
> enemy, yet served much the same role. The cultural changes that
> might lessen the proclivity is a harder problem than just
> ridding ourselves of Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism.

Oh, I dunno, I'd call that a good start.

jb