[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/4: Beyond Faith

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar < drernie at radicalcentrism.org > on > Mon Dec 4 19:26:15 PST 2006

Hi Jeff,

On Dec 4, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> Fair enough. So, what exactly do you propose to put in its place?
>
> Nothing.  I'd say that's up to the individual, if they feel they
> need it.  Once more with feeling:  a VOID IS OKAY.  If you can't
> live with that, fill it with something less ludicrous and less
> poisonous.  I merely reserve the right to mercilessly taunt you if
> the nonsense you concoct to replace the current nonsense is equally
> ridiculous --- or equally harmful.

I'm sorry, I'm thoroughly confused.  Are you saying that the best way
to organize society is everyone believes whatever they want?  Or are
you just asserting your right to personal skepticism?

Put another way, would you favor government policy that officially
discouraged religion, or do you think that it is best if religion and
non-religious people battle it out on a "level playing
field" (whatever that is)?

I'm not being rhetorical; I'm genuinely curious.

>> Which brings us to Jeff's final question: Yes, I *do* have an
>> empirical test[7] that would convince me that my beliefs are
>> fatally flawed:
>>
>> "Create a self-supporting community of like-minded individuals
>> that demonstrates superior ethical behavior towards both each
>> other and hostile outsiders for more than a single generation."
>
> I have absolutely no "faith" that you would, indeed, be convinced
> by such a test;  as everyone knows, all Christians are hypocrites
> and liars. ;-)

Yeah, but at least we're honest about it. :-P

> Hell, by definition (your own, btw) you cannot even be honest with
> yourselves.

Um, which definition?

-- Ernie P.