[FoRK] spam insanity

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Tue Dec 5 09:29:10 PST 2006

Gmail caught 13K spam for me in the past 14 or so hours. (This may in
fact be a gmail bug, undeleting a bunch of spam I trashed yesterday.
They really need a 'this might be spam', 'this is definitely spam'
two-tier system. But I digress.)

The vast bulk of it is emails *from* [random characters]@tieguy.org
which are now getting bounced back to me. (*@tieguy.org is funneled to
my gmail account, to let me provide domain at tieguy.org addresses when I
buy/register/etc.) I'm getting so much of it, in fact, that I'm
concerned that I'm going to get blacklisted.

So a couple questions:

* Is there something like SPF that I should be looking at setting up
to help those who are currently getting inundated by spam 'from'
tieguy.org, and additionally to verify that mail actually from
luis at tieguy.org shouldn't be spam filtered? What is the state of the
art there?

* given that I don't want to set up a real mail server on tieguy.org,
are there any better options for doing the wildcard domain stuff I'm
doing? I don't want to give this up; cnnsi at tieguy.org (for example)
gets several hundred spam a day, so I want to be able to give out
email addresses trivially and later can them. gmail-specific solutions
are acceptable; anything requiring serious server-side work probably
not.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/answers/etc.

Luis (when I am philosopher-king, there will be patents on the torture
of spammers, in order to encourage innovation in that critical
competitive area)