[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/4: Beyond Faith

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Tue Dec 5 13:24:11 PST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Dec 4, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>>> Fair enough. So, what exactly do you propose to put in its place?
>>
>> Nothing.  I'd say that's up to the individual, if they feel they
>> need it.  Once more with feeling:  a VOID IS OKAY.  If you can't
>> live with that, fill it with something less ludicrous and less
>> poisonous.  I merely reserve the right to mercilessly taunt you if
>> the nonsense you concoct to replace the current nonsense is
>> equally ridiculous --- or equally harmful.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm thoroughly confused.  Are you saying that the best
> way to organize society is everyone believes whatever they want?
> Or are you just asserting your right to personal skepticism?

Nope, I'm asserting (a) your right to continue to be a lunatic, (b)
my right to point that out, and (c) your responsibility to deal with
whatever the fallout is if I somehow manage to convince you that your
ideas are nutty and you subsequently ditch them.  I have no
obligations to you, EVEN IF I disabuse you of your current theist
delusions.

You're welcome.

> Put another way, would you favor government policy that officially
> discouraged religion,

I would favor a government policy that explicitly advocated
separation of church and state, and a fair-minded legislative class
that did not use politics or public institutions as a means of
propagating their own individual religious beliefs, and an educated
and fair-minded electorate that did not believe that somehow
"democracy" meant that if enough religious idiots got together they
had every right to legislate their religion.

You know, sort of like the founding fathers more-or-less envisioned.

> Yeah, but at least we're honest about it. :-P
>
>> Hell, by definition (your own, btw) you cannot even be honest with
>> yourselves.
>
> Um, which definition?

Cf. "faith."  The ultimate dodge of intellectual honesty.

jb