[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/4: Beyond Faith

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Tue Dec 5 13:55:33 PST 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>
>> Put another way, would you favor government policy that officially
>> discouraged religion,
>
> I would favor a government policy that explicitly advocated
> separation of church and state...

It occurs to me that the previous is going to confuse some people, so
let me put it differently:

No, I don't advocate a government policy that "officially
discourages" religion, Ernie, but that's mostly because I don't
generally advocate government policy for anything, or government
policy in general.  I would strongly encourage the development of a
culture of anti-theism which explicitly discourages religion.  It's a
matter of memetic engineering, though --- not government.

OTOH, I don't think government should do *anything* to *encourage*
religion either.  Such as tax breaks, free advertising space for all
the "branding" on public properties (dollar bills, court houses,
etc.) --- distribution of tax dollars ("faith-based initiatives"
anyone?) or indoctrination of children through the teaching of
religion, particularly on the tax-payer's dollar.  None of that.  No
encouragement, no discouragement --- total non-acknowledgment.

Children, though, are actually quite a thorny problem.  I've come
around to the point of view that religious indoctrination of children
is child abuse.  As such, there's a very valid discussion to be had
on whether the government should or should not have a role in
preventing this, even coercively if necessary.  In general, I'm anti-
authoritarian and this sort of thing makes me queasy...  but it's an
issue of grave importance, practically and morally.

jb