[FoRK] reas. conv. 12/4: Beyond Faith

Jeffrey Winter < JeffreyWinter at crd.com > on > Tue Dec 5 14:04:36 PST 2006

> I've come around to the point of view that
> religious indoctrination of children is
> child abuse.

Good Lord.

Frankly, as much as I admire Dawkins, whenever he strays
from the field of biology I feel like I'm watching
Michael Jordan trying to play baseball.  In Dawkins case,
he makes up for a lack of knowledge in the areas human
nature, the history of philosophy and history in
general with appeals to vituperative rage.

It seems that the only thing that Dawkins has brought to
the current collision between theism and atheism is the
notion that religion is "poisonous", "pathenogenic",
"childish", "dangerous", "abusive", etc.  Great.  And
even these ideas aren't exactly fresh (other than perhaps
the child abuse angle); it's more his fervor.

Nothing he says on the lack of rationality behind
religious belief is even remotely new.  This is
the basic tenant of fideism.  Theism's rationality is
utterly beyond the point.

I still think Dawkins and his acolytes need to justify
this escalation of rhetoric.  Dawkins himself has said
that he doesn't care if the word is worse off without
religion, because that's just the way it is.