[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Brian Atkins < brian at posthuman.com > on > Tue Dec 5 20:58:13 PST 2006

I've glanced at the book at Amazon a while back, but can't make myself buy it so
far. Although it touches on some areas of interest for me, it seems mistargeted
to worry about trying to keep intact the US government in face of even the
relatively tame BCI he's on about, much less a self-improving AGI. What would be
the point? Our current government is based on assumptions that eventually
crumble under these scenarios.

With real Kurzweilian nano-enabled BCI, the "C" part of the entity would
continue to rapidly grow in power along Moore's Law or likely faster, completely
outstripping the "B" part in a short period of time to the point that the B is
more of a bottleneck than anything else. At that point it makes more sense to
just upload the B into the C substrate so the whole thing can run a lot faster,
or better yet re-architect the mind altogether into something that can better
deal with such large amounts of computing resources instead of forcing it to
integrate through the ancient tiny evolved B legacy parts.

At any rate by that point you would expect the BCI-generated economy to become
so large and technically advanced that it would utterly outclass any remaining
human-1.0 actors or governments. Do posthumans really need a government of our
current style to protect them or act on their behalf? As we live better than old
kings today, these future people will plausibly live as near-omnipotently as our
old bearded-sky-gods are imagined to. 18th century government will predictably
go bye bye, or is at least relegated to "historic living museum" status if there
are holdouts who don't wanna upgrade. Who knows what's next - government for
demigods, whatever that would be like.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/