[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Wed Dec 6 10:21:36 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:06:19PM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Picking nits, but IMHO personal helicopters != flying cars.  I assume
> that flying car implies no external propeller.  More like Moller...

Skycar (which has been vaporware since, when, 1970s?) is based on
a ducted fan design. The propulsion issue is arguably solved (though
carbon composite price tag and a lousy mpg are not a good mix),
but having a 6DOF controller + collision avoidance is way too much
novelty for a personal air vehicle to be insurable, or even licensed.
That threshold is way lower for UAVs, especially remotely controlled
ultralites which run little danger of accidently beheading a passerby.

I could kill for an partly autonomous (GPS+accelerometer dead reckoning)
ultralite with remote video by UMTS or similiar next generation 3G
I could drive from a multiscreen with my SpaceTraveller. Something like
a poor man's http://lemonodor.com/archives/001451.html and
an UAV with the wingspan of a blackbird.