[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Wed Dec 6 10:31:18 PST 2006

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 09:46:06PM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
> > While I would very much like the flying car, my money is on the brain-
> > computer interface.
>
> Personal helicopters exist, whereas BCIs exist only as
> crude prototypes for severely disabled.
>
> A real BCI will be invasive, and require medical nanotechnology.
> As such personal flying vehicles, in today's 100 k$ range are
> distinctly earlier.

More relevantly to the point I was trying to make with the picture,
despite people having talked about flying cars as being right around
the corner for decades*, it isn't happening any time soon. The
obstacles to overcome with BCI are far steeper. They'll happen, but
not in our lifetimes, and I think anyone who thinks otherwise is
deluding themselves about the myriad complexities around the problem.

Luis

* my grandfather was the co-founder of a startup which tried to build
a personal plane for returned servicemen in the late 40s, so call it
60 years if you want to talk about 'every garage with a plane'