[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Jim Whitehead < ejw at soe.ucsc.edu > on > Wed Dec 6 12:31:05 PST 2006

A New York Times article today points out the obvious, that spam has
dramatically increased recently. When talking with folks in the IETF
with email standards experience, I keep getting the message, "email's
not broken, it's just that {insert intervention here} is needed."  At
what point are we able to officially declare the SMTP-based email
infrastructure is fundamentally broken, and we need a major change?

Feels like we need an "Iraq Study Group" for the spam problem. We're
not winning the war, and we're in serious denial. As far as I can
tell, there are no IETF working groups addressing the issue of fixing
the email infrastructure.

- Jim

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/technology/06spam.html

Spam Doubles, Finding New Ways to Deliver Itself
By BRAD STONE
Hearing from a lot of new friends lately? You know, the ones that
write “It’s me, Esmeralda,” and tip you off to an obscure stock that
is “poised to explode” or a great deal on prescription drugs.

You’re not the only one. Spam is back — in e-mail in-boxes and on
everyone’s minds. In the last six months, the problem has gotten
measurably worse. Worldwide spam volumes have doubled from last year,
according to Ironport, a spam filtering firm, and unsolicited junk
mail now accounts for more than 9 of every 10 e-mail messages sent
over the Internet.

Much of that flood is made up of a nettlesome new breed of junk e-
mail called image spam, in which the words of the advertisement are
part of a picture, often fooling traditional spam detectors that look
for telltale phrases. Image spam increased fourfold from last year
and now represents 25 to 45 percent of all junk e-mail, depending on
the day, Ironport says.

The antispam industry is struggling to keep up with the surge. It is
adding computer power and developing new techniques in an effort to
avoid losing the battle with the most sophisticated spammers.

It wasn’t supposed to turn out this way. Three years ago, Bill Gates,
Microsoft’s chairman, made an audacious prediction: the problem of
junk e-mail, he said, “will be solved by 2006.” And for a time, there
were signs that he was going to be proved right.

*snip*