[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Andy Armstrong < andy at hexten.net > on > Wed Dec 6 13:27:07 PST 2006

On 6 Dec 2006, at 20:56, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>> I've never received a properly crypto-signed spam. Is it not the
>> case that if when spam first became a problem (Green Card anyone?)
>> everyone had started incorporating easy to use signing into their
>> mail products and ISPs had dished out certs to their subscribers
>> as a matter of course we might be a bit better off now?
>
> It's unclear to me that this would solve the spam-via-botnet
> problem. In this case, the end-user's machine has been completely
> compromised including, presumably, the ability to send encrypted
> email as that user.

I tend to think of botnets as a (largely) Windows problem rather than
a mail problem. There are other reasons not to want your machine to
moonlight for someone else other than not wanting it to send spam. So
yes you'd have to fix that too but that can't be beyond the
collective wit of the industry. Can it?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net