[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Tom Higgins < tomhiggins at gmail.com > on > Wed Dec 6 14:30:13 PST 2006

On 12/6/06, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2006, at 21:59, Tom Higgins wrote:
> > Crypto? PGP has been out for a decade or so and it is being used by
> > what percent of the email population? Yea, see it may sound good it
> > might flash a little something but without use it means not much.
>
> That's not crypto's fault though. The technology would work had there
> been the will to implement it.

I was not knocking PGP (gpg) as such, rather pointing out that if a
tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it no one will
pick up the dead squirrle meat and make a burgoo.

I also don't think it is the will to implement as much either, I have
seen several attempts to make it easier to sign mails.

I think the mass lumpen just dont give a shit enough about it to do
anything but use the craptasticular Outlook apps installed on their
emachines to even update them when needed let alone do the any amount
of work to understand why crypto is a good thing to use  and then use
it no matter how easy/well it was implemented (and still be viable)

The dunkum thinkums did good with pgp and the like, its the world that
sucks bawls.

-tomhiggins