[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Wed Dec 6 15:11:12 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> I am most certain the authors of the Jetsons said the same thing.

I am most certain that the authors of the Jetsons had never heard of
the law of accelerating returns, or even Moore's Law for that
matter.  If you doubt this, let me draw you a little timeline....

GMAB.

> I think you really just don't understand the complexity of the
> brain and
> the non-parallelizable nature of much hard science research.

I really think that industry is going to drive this stuff, not some
random collection of graduate theses and dissertations, and not some
massive Manhattan Project-like government or quasi-governmental
push.  And I happen to have a little recent experience that might be
relevant;  the current gig is pretty close to the subject matter at
hand, though the application (machine learning in financial markets)
is fundamentally different.  But yes, I think I've got a very good
understanding of the complexity of the brain, on many of the relevant
dimensions.

The right set of a small number of geeks, appropriately resourced and
motivated, can get a lot done very quickly --- including pushing the
boundaries of science far and fast.

I'm starting to get deja vu, though;  I'm sure this argument's been
had here before.  I.e., the "science is primarily driven by smooth
continuous progress" vs. "science is primarily driven by quantum
discontinous progress" argument.

jb