[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Wed Dec 6 15:31:13 PST 2006

> On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > I am most certain the authors of the Jetsons said the same thing.
>
> I am most certain that the authors of the Jetsons had never heard of
> the law of accelerating returns, or even Moore's Law for that
> matter.  If you doubt this, let me draw you a little timeline....
>
> GMAB.

People have been noticing the increased rate of technological change
for a long time- since at least the early 1900s that I'm aware. Very
simple observation, really: my life is more different from that of my
parents than theirs was from their parents than theirs was from their
parents. Insert any combination of railroads, factories, early cars,
etc., etc. in there.

> > I think you really just don't understand the complexity of the
> > brain and
> > the non-parallelizable nature of much hard science research.
>
> I really think that industry is going to drive this stuff,

Why? Maybe I'm mising something obvious here, but I'm not seeing why
industry would care to invest in this.

[And re: your other email; you're right to think that flying cars have
a lot of systemic problems (lawyers, regulations, etc.) but BCI is
going to require *brain surgery*. I'm not sure how that isn't going to
be a huge hurdle.][And don't tell me we're all going to sit in an MRI
and it is going to read our mind- that might get us pong, *maybe*,
but it sure as hell won't get us mind melds with Deep Blue.]

Luis