[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Thu Dec 7 03:34:13 PST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 01:53:47AM -0800, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Can you say more about what the interview was about
> or why it occurred in the first place?

I don't know the details, but some guy in Berlin who
doesn't apparently own a computer got an invoice for services
(as far as I can see, it's a commercial USENET access
provider called http://firstload.de) allegedly rendered.
He probably didn't pay up, and the logs my server's IP
(redgene, which currently happens to be down, which I
hope is not a sign that it has been seized -- I've just
submitted a trouble ticket for it) which is running
a Tor exit node came up. The persecutor contacted the
local police office, which sent an officer. I wasn't
at home, so I got a phone call. I appeared next morning,
gave to protocol (truthfully) that the perpetrator wasn't
me, explained the working of a Tor network and anonymity
on the Internet in general, left a lot of dead-tree
documentation with the (friendly officer, and continued
with my day.

I expect the persecutor will see things my way, if not,
I've got a lawsuit on my hands (I've got a law insurance,
but I should then probably talk to EFF). My colo contract
is terminating by 12th this month, so if the trouble ticket
doesn't get an appropriate response, I'll assume my (rented)
server has been seized, such as similiar have been in Germany
in a recent pedophilia crackdown.