[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Thu Dec 7 03:49:28 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 02:30:13PM -0800, Tom Higgins wrote:

> I was not knocking PGP (gpg) as such, rather pointing out that if a

Actually, the recent commercial PGP sucks lymphatic fliariasis testicles.
The idea of intercepting things in transit is not bad in general (a
friend of mine is with Ciphire), but their implementation is *bad*.

Given that even developers with Ph.Ds are little more than dumb
animals utterly unable to understand public key cryptography
even if explained with hand puppets the prospects for general
Johnny to 1) get it and 2) (to remember to) use it are nil.

> tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it no one will
> pick up the dead squirrle meat and make a burgoo.
>
> I also don't think it is the will to implement as much either, I have
> seen several attempts to make it easier to sign mails.
>
> I think the mass lumpen just dont give a shit enough about it to do
> anything but use the craptasticular Outlook apps installed on their
> emachines to even update them when needed let alone do the any amount
> of work to understand why crypto is a good thing to use  and then use
> it no matter how easy/well it was implemented (and still be viable)
>
> The dunkum thinkums did good with pgp and the like, its the world that
> sucks bawls.

Amen. I do sign most of my mails, in order to autowhitelist by
digital signature should some spammer juggernaut decide to feed
me a few Mmessages, adressed to myself.