[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Andy Armstrong < andy at hexten.net > on > Thu Dec 7 04:15:36 PST 2006

On 7 Dec 2006, at 11:47, Justin Mason wrote:
> Finally, signing mail won't help particularly; this is a common
> fallacy --
> the confusion between Authentication and Reputation.   If I know
> for sure
> that the mail was sent by jimw at example.com, does that _really_ tell
> me if
> it's spam or not, any more than knowing it was sent by the IP address
> 157.22.41.50 with rDNS xent.com?

It fingers exactly who sent it though. Throw in the elimination of
botnets - quite possibly in the way you describe although I can't
help thinking it'd be a whole load better if MS just fixed their OS -
and you've made considerable, maybe enough, progress.

In the UK we have the TPS and MPS (Telephone Preference Service and
Mail Preference Service) for POTS and paper mail. You register with
them that you don't want any more spam and it cuts the spam
drastically - it doesn't entirely eliminate it but it drops to an
unobtrusive level and gives you the threat of a regulator to beat up
the people who slip through the net.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net