[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Andy Armstrong < andy at hexten.net > on > Thu Dec 7 05:16:39 PST 2006

On 7 Dec 2006, at 12:58, Justin Mason wrote:
> Yeah, I strongly agree.  The failure to adopt EU-style opt-in anti-
> spam
> legislation in the US was the biggest failing in the legislative fight
> against spam to date -- and the DMA is *directly* to blame, from
> what I've
> heard.
>
> (Mind you, I hear the UK regulator is a bit inept ;)

Absolutely - and the interesting thing is that the system works
pretty well in spite of that. I'm not exactly comparing like with
like of course. There are plenty of respectable companies who engage
in telemarketing who wouldn't get into email spamming and they will
tend to obey even a relatively toothless regulator - but even the
rogue operators seem to have stopped calling us.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net