[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

B.K. DeLong < bkdelong at pobox.com > on > Thu Dec 7 05:39:54 PST 2006

Speaking of PGP, I'm hearing a lot of Infosec folks in my neck of the
industry starting to move from PGP to TrueCrypt
(http://www.truecrypt.org). Anyone using this or have any experience
with it?

On 12/6/06, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:
> > On 6 Dec 2006, at 21:59, Tom Higgins wrote:
> > > Crypto? PGP has been out for a decade or so and it is being used by
> > > what percent of the email population? Yea, see it may sound good it
> > > might flash a little something but without use it means not much.
> >
> > That's not crypto's fault though. The technology would work had there
> > been the will to implement it.
>

> I was not knocking PGP (gpg) as such, rather pointing out that if a
> tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it no one will
> pick up the dead squirrle meat and make a burgoo.
>
> I also don't think it is the will to implement as much either, I have
> seen several attempts to make it easier to sign mails.
>
> I think the mass lumpen just dont give a shit enough about it to do
> anything but use the craptasticular Outlook apps installed on their
> emachines to even update them when needed let alone do the any amount
> of work to understand why crypto is a good thing to use  and then use
> it no matter how easy/well it was implemented (and still be viable)
>
> The dunkum thinkums did good with pgp and the like, its the world that
> sucks bawls.
>
> -tomhiggins

B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Son.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org             Volunteer.
http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org   Service.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org