[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Thu Dec 7 07:50:21 PST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:20 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I do expect nice things with lots of massive DSP from EEG or
> even MEG -- it might be even enough to produce a realtime 6DOF
> vector, or a low-bandwidth ASCII channel. If anyone has
> access to http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/
> iel5/10382/33012/01547485.pdf?arnumber=1547485
> I'd rather like to see that paper.

Ditto on the paper.

BTW, Eugen --- do you really think EEG's sufficient for 6DOF, much
less low-bandwidth ASCII (assuming subvocalization?)  I'd been
assuming hybrid readers would be necessary.  If you think EEG's
sufficient for that, lots of interesting possibilities open up.

It's worth noting, I suppose, that IMHO you're going to need a whole
host of supplementary, "external" input signals for the interesting
apps:  at a minimum head tracking, probably eye tracking and pupil
dilation measurement, skin conductivity, various kinds of
proprioceptive localization inputs, ambient noise, and possibly extra
artificial visual inputs in various directions.  But none of that's
revolutionary.  The integrative capability --- by which I mean the
hardware and software to process all that --- is more challenging
than any one of those things...

jb