[FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Justin Mason < jm at jmason.org > on > Thu Dec 7 10:20:47 PST 2006

Jim Whitehead writes:

> Justin Mason writes:
> > The only thing that can "solve" spam (almost) entirely would be to
> > close
> > it down -- turn it into a closed-address-book AIM-like protocol,
> > where you
> > cannot receive emails from someone you haven't added to a whitelist in
> > advance, out-of-band.  Once you've done that, it's no longer email,
> > unfortunately.
>
> My particular pet technical fix is a variant of this.
>
> Have a 2-tier email system.
>
> Tier 1 (lowest level) is the current email system.
> Tier 2 is a closed-address-book system.
>
> Layer tier 2 into existing mail servers, so that existing mail
> clients can get tier 1 and tier 2 email via POP/IMAP (which aren't
> broken).
>
> Have a mechanism for smart clients to tell the difference between the
> two, so that UIs can separate email in both tiers, such as by sending
> all tier 1 email to a "spam until proven otherwise" inbox, and tier 2
> to the standard inbox.
>
> You can still receive random email from the masses and ecommerce
> sites, while preserving the desired quality that 99% of useful and
> desired email comes through tier 2.

Interestingly, this is pretty much how Hotmail does spam filtering
nowadays as far as I can see (although they spice it up with some random
"disappearing into the ether" events, too, reportedly).

Ask around a few Hotmail users/ex-users -- they're not exactly
fans of having to dig through the "bulk" folder on a regular basis.

Sure, you've got a new, two-tier email system -- but to a user, it's
indistinguishable from the old system operating with a really
crappy spam filter...

--j.