Push Me Pull My Finger Re: [FoRK] At what point is email officially broken?

Andy Armstrong < andy at hexten.net > on > Fri Dec 8 03:20:54 PST 2006

On 8 Dec 2006, at 02:23, Tom Higgins wrote:
> Ok im going off the deep end here since I lack the dinkum thinkum
> deepness to do the problem real justice....
>
> Push Me Pull My Finger..... There are many folks and lists that make
> up a large percentage of my email reading. Rather than me accepting
> all mail and filtering out the spam why not just go to a safe drop box
> they have and pull down any mail there addressed to me.
>
> Reverse the traffic flow. The item is not send until requested.

Use RSS for pull mail:

http://www.hexten.net/2006/09/25/how-to-end-phishing-with-rss

Even an RSS feed with a funky long unguessable URL would be good
enough for some mail-replacement applications - but you can also do
authenticated RSS over SSH if you feel like it.

If I wasn't off shortly for a weekend of debauchery I might brush up
my Python and hack RSS onto mailman in fact - how hard can it be?

It's been done as a kludge already: http://taint.org/mmrss/

I also suggested recently to Mark Frauenfelder (having recieved a
phishalike mail from Make subscriber services) that they might like
to consider giving people the option of getting their subscriber mail
via RSS.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net