[FoRK] moderation in all things

Dave Long < dave.long at bluewin.ch > on > Fri Dec 8 04:20:14 PST 2006

One of the nice things about living in a historically very catholic
area is that the godbothering quotient is, by what we're accustomed to,
low.  (the local LDS mission was described to us as follows: "there are
some other Americans here too; they're very nice ... but they'll want
to speak to you about Jesus")

In general, people seem to be far more concerned with being nice to
each other than with witnessing unto their neighbors (the simple "we're
not catholic" covers questions of religion for everyone from
latin-mass-listeners to protestants to muslims to jedis).  I have to
admit a certain appreciative regard for this lack of fundamentalism.

The bishop, I think, may wish people were less ecumenical and more
evangelical.  (his confessionals have a cell number posted so the
priests don't have to wait for the infrequent parishioner.  No sign of
an SMS-server* yet, though)  At one point last year, he got all worked
up about an ad campaign including cows with halos, on the grounds that
it undermined the institution of sanctity or something.

The reply came in the form of a very nice open letter to St. Francis
from the cow, asking him to intercede with the Bishop on her behalf,
and pointing out (among several other things) that not only had she
been there in the manger with baby Jesus, one could even say she'd had
just as much to do with that Blessed Event as had St. Joseph.

-Dave

:: :: ::

* "Re: [form-al confession]"
http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/nov99/0009.html