[FoRK] At what point is this thread officially broken?

Jeff Bone < jbone at place.org > on > Fri Dec 8 08:29:29 PST 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 12:47 AM, paul wrote:

> Get a Mac?  Use *nix?  That's bullshit.  You know it.

Not kidding.  The spam filtering in Mail.app is phenomenally
effective.  I was previously using a combination of spambayes and
some homegrown stuff at my IMAP server, on Linux, but found it
completely unnecessary after switching to using Mail.app on the Mac
as my client a few years ago.  I now have maybe 1 spam message a week
that makes it through the spam filter and my other filters set up on
the client side --- and I typically receive some several hundred
legit  messages a day between work, lists, and personal
correspondence, and at least an equal amount of spam that gets zapped
automatically for me.  I just don't *see* it.  I'm not entirely
certain what combination of technologies Apple's using in Mail.app,
but it works very, very well.

> Please explain how mail.app is going to stop the spam *I get*.
> Explain how a Mac mail app is going to cure the spam problem I have.

The problem isn't really *receiving* spam, is it?  For me at least,
*seeing* the spam is the problem.  If you want to actually solve the
sending / receiving problem, the suggestions offered earlier (which
require re-engineering e-mail from the ground-up, and replacing SMTP)
are AFAICT the only way to go, and thus effectively a non-starter
(too high a barrier to entry.)  But I'm not sure that's necessary in
any case.

> Sure, if I was a great guru I could do whatever and filter the
> stuff at the server.  But I'm not a great guru.  I just have my
> sucky site hosted on DreamHost and I get my mail from their
> servers.  My ISP is only for connecting to the 'net.

Again, the right client-side solution will get you a long way...  and
the Mac's Mail.app, out of the box, is the best client-side solution
I've found (and I've tried 'em all...)

jb