[FoRK] Annihilation from within...

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Sun Dec 10 05:30:37 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 07:13:21PM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:

> BTW, the point (which I failed to make in the last message) is this
> --- it seems to me that if you can make the SQUIDs small enough and
> cheap enough and have them work at room temperature, then you'd want
> to stick more of them in the helmet.  Enough separate sensors plus

Yes, I was also assuming MEG by a MEMS-fabbed array of e.g. rubidium vapor
atomic magnetometers at RT. I presume the paper I was asking for
(really no IEEE members here?)
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel5/10382/33012/01547485.pdf?arnumber=1547485
was about that.

> some heavy DSP and you could expect --- at least --- equivalent
> quality to the bulkier rigs we have today.  Perhaps better.

Cryogenic SQIDs just don't work in a portable setting.

> Shielding and other environmental and power considerations are
> admittedly thornier...

As far as I can see, an array of NEMS atomic magnetometers would
very nicely fit into a skullcap, requiring no particular shielding
or power requirements below what's available for mobile applications.