[FoRK] spam insanity

Tony Finch < dot at dotat.at > on > Sun Dec 10 16:14:25 PST 2006

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Luis Villa wrote:

> I'm definitely open to solutions to that problem; I'd be more than
> happy to kill the wildcard if I saw another option that allowed me to
> register freely online, kept me to one central gmail account, and
> still allowed me to blackhole compromised addresses.

There are at least two solutions: The faffier one is to enable new local
parts only when you need them. The easier (but weaker) one is to use local
part suffixes (or "detail" parts to use Sieve terminology) so that you
hand out addresses of the form <luis+detail at tieguy.org>. (+ is the
traditional separator used by Cyrus etc. but it may be better to use - or
. for compatibility with people who don't read RFCs.) The latter is
similar to what you have now, but there's enough extra gubbins in the
local part to foil the common dictionary attacks and blow-back, and you
can still disable or blackhole suffixes that are being spammed.

Tony.
SOLE: SOUTHWEST 7 OR GALE 8, VEERING WEST 5 OR 6. ROUGH OR VERY ROUGH. RAIN
THEN SHOWERS. GOOD.