[FoRK] hacking the hosts file

Corinna < corinna.schultz at gmail.com > on > Thu Dec 14 12:35:31 PST 2006

I think the answer is "no", but just in case...

Is there a way I can use the hosts file to redirect to localhost all
domains except a specified list?

Is there a program that will do this, or do I have to figure it out
myself? :)

I'm setting up the spare computer (no, not the P95 - that didn't work
the way I needed it to) as a Linux machine for my kids. They have never
had free access to the Internet, and I initially want to limit their
ability to go anywhere, until they learn not to click on ads, and so forth.

I don't have a wireless adapter for that machine yet, plus I need to
learn more about how to secure the machine (antivirus, etc). I've
already set up their own accounts, and explained the idea of passwords.
My daughter was taken aback that she was typing but only asterisks showed...

-Corinna