[FoRK] electronic forensics

Kevin Elliott < K-Elliott at wiu.edu > on > Sat Dec 16 20:51:20 PST 2006

I actually spent some time interviewing with a company that's pretty
active in this space (at least on the OSX side).  It's not as
advanced as you might think.  My understanding is that the basic
procedure is to duplicate the drive and then work off the copy.  I
suspect that the legal side of things is mostly protected by always
being able to start over again from the original drive and
replicating the results.

Software wise it was pretty standard data recovery tools with the
addition of lots of logging.  Not really a lot of extra
"intelligence" in the software to find things the investigator might
overlook, etc.  Very much a tool for an expert rather than an
automated do all the work for you problem.

FYI- I think if somebody is willing to point an electron microscope
at your platters your pretty well screwed.  If they're willing to
spend that kind of money, they're probably willing to grab you and
break your arms to get what they want ;).  Certainly it's well above
what the average police department is willing/able to pay for.