[FoRK] Who Else Ordered an AppleTV?

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Tue Jan 9 16:36:53 PST 2007

On 1/9/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> AppleTV will be just the thing you need IF
>   ---You want to be tied to iTunes
>   ---You don't mind being limited to sharing with 5 devices
>   ---You don't already have a device doing much of this already.
>
> I have an old HP running Ubuntu. With DemocracyTV, Songbird, Firefox,
> the DVD drive, a 22 inch flat on the wall and a nice set of speakers I
> have a nice rig already. If we actually watched TV we would slot in
> the USB TV device we carry around when on the road (grabbing fresh
> intakes of toons and the like for the kids and a few coking shows for
> us from the hotel cable).
>
> For borgconsumers and those already deep into the apple lifestyle,
> sure I guess this makes as much sense as getting moist over a  pink
> ipod nano.
>
> For those of us who can Think Different...no chaching.

I think Apple's marketing ceased to be about Thinking Different a long
time ago, as it should have- difference for difference's sake is
silly. (And make no mistake, that was all Apple could sell at the
time.) Their new mantra might as well be 'don't think at all', which
is really damn seductive. My Ubuntu box is tied to a 42"er, but...
damn, let me say it again- having my TV, phone, and desktop just Plug
In and Just Fucking Work is really, really seductive. When I want to
watch TV or listen to music, or (now) have my phone and computer
address books and calendars and mail sync, I don't want to have to
work. My time is far too valuable to spend on these things.

For the short term, I value my freedom too much to switch, but lets be
frank- those are some  very, very nice handcuffs Steve is selling, and
getting moreso all the time.

Luis