[FoRK] Who Else Ordered an AppleTV?

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Tue Jan 9 16:41:27 PST 2007

On 1/9/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > AppleTV will be just the thing you need IF
> >   ---You want to be tied to iTunes
> >   ---You don't mind being limited to sharing with 5 devices
> >   ---You don't already have a device doing much of this already.
> >
> > I have an old HP running Ubuntu. With DemocracyTV, Songbird, Firefox,
> > the DVD drive, a 22 inch flat on the wall and a nice set of speakers I
> > have a nice rig already. If we actually watched TV we would slot in
> > the USB TV device we carry around when on the road (grabbing fresh
> > intakes of toons and the like for the kids and a few coking shows for
> > us from the hotel cable).
> >
> > For borgconsumers and those already deep into the apple lifestyle,
> > sure I guess this makes as much sense as getting moist over a  pink
> > ipod nano.
> >
> > For those of us who can Think Different...no chaching.
>
> I think Apple's marketing ceased to be about Thinking Different a long
> time ago, as it should have- difference for difference's sake is
> silly. (And make no mistake, that was all Apple could sell at the
> time.) Their new mantra might as well be 'don't think at all', which
> is really damn seductive. My Ubuntu box is tied to a 42"er, but...
> damn, let me say it again- having my TV, phone, and desktop just Plug
> In and Just Fucking Work is really, really seductive. When I want to
> watch TV or listen to music, or (now) have my phone and computer
> address books and calendars and mail sync, I don't want to have to
> work. My time is far too valuable to spend on these things.
>
> For the short term, I value my freedom too much to switch, but lets be
> frank- those are some  very, very nice handcuffs Steve is selling, and
> getting moreso all the time.

Tangentially, my guess is that this generation of AppleTV is a flop-
until it can fully benefit from the already-possessed* content like
the iPod did, there isn't enough content out there to justify buying
it. When Steve wises up to this and puts a DVR in the next version,
and/or makes it easy to get gootube stuff onto it, then it'll take
off. Not until then.

The phone will far exceed his prediction of 10M units in 2008,
assuming that by mid-2008 there is a 16G version, and that the touch
screen isn't a total flop.

Apple Computer -> Apple, BTW, is the big deal here; MS tacitly
admitted that when they moved to Xbox, but in the end, their center of
gravity around the PC will be their anchor.

Luis

* setting aside the ownership issue for now