[FoRK] Who Else Ordered an AppleTV?

Ian Andrew Bell < hello at ianbell.com > on > Tue Jan 9 20:39:14 PST 2007

Somehow I seem to have made iTunes the centre of my existence without
ever endorsing DMCA-compliant AAC or purchasing music from the iTunes
Music Store.  What's just as seductive about Apple's solutions is the
subtext that while they'd like you to use their formats, etc. you can
get things to work with minimal effort without making the lawyers happy.

With my XBOX 360, I need to manually convert all of my movie and
audio files to WMA format in order to touch them.  Since that's a
proprietary format and god knows what will happen to my files, that
means I have to maintain two copies.

My hope is that by dropping VXID/DIVX components into Quicktime that
I'll be able to play torrents on my HDTV without a lot of effort.

The lack of HD handling capability was what got me out of the
business of using PCs for this kind of crap.  If the AppleTV doesn't
pan out I'll get something like this:

http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg350.htm

Either way I'd rather be in a trap designed by Steve Jobs than one
designed by Bill Gates any time.

-Ian.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ianbell