[FoRK] Who Else Ordered an AppleTV?

Luis Villa < luis at tieguy.org > on > Wed Jan 10 20:53:11 PST 2007

[Oops, dropped fork off this when I replied to Adam.]
On 1/10/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > So I could care less about the phone, it's an iBook replacement not a
> > cellphone replacement. It's running OS X and has WiFi so it has or will
> > have all the apps I use on my laptop.
>
> At least a couple reports I've seen say it will be locked down and
> third-party apps won't install. If that is correct, all optimistic
> predictions are DOA.

Gizmodo seems to have confirmed this:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/macworld2007/gizmodo-iphone-hands-on-part-deux-why-isnt-it-white-and-other-questions-227575.php

"The OS: It isn't OS X proper, as you'd expect. And like an iPod, it
won't be an open system that people can develop for. Remember, this is
both an iPod and a Phone."

So, yeah, scratch lots of the excitement. Still, once it gets a better
HD, it'll be a perfectly capable replacement for an ipod and a non-PDA
phone.

Luis