[FoRK] 100 mile diet...

Dave Long <dave.long at bluewin.ch> on Tue Jan 23 09:03:29 PST 2007

Was there any transcript, or just audio?

> "In Brief: When the average North American sits down to eat, each
> ingredient has typically travelled at least 1,500 miles. On the first
> day of spring, 2005, Alisa Smith and James MacKinnon chose to confront
> this unsettling statistic with a simple experiment. For one year, they
> would buy or gather their food and drink from within 100 miles of their
> apartment in Vancouver, British Columbia."

I assume they were successful, as the pacific northwest has
historically been a great place to gather food and drink (think
potlatch cultures).

For us, 100 miles reaches to 4 countries (and four languages, but they
change along different borders -- each with their cuisines) containing
climate zones from distinctly glacial to nearly mediterranean.  (I
don't know of anyone growing avocado within this radius, but pistachios
are not unknown).

That variety, and the simple fact that food is almost always labelled
not only as to how it's produced, but also as to geographical origin,
makes the experiment not sound so difficult as it might be in a North
American context.

-Dave