[FoRK] Surfing the memestream as usual; righteous swells induce continuous endorphin rush

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Jan 23 16:41:39 PST 2007

Two skeptical bits amongst otherwise agreement about excitement:

* I'm still waiting for any proof that iPhone is actually Unix in any
meaningful, user-exposed sense. (I now think the real reason iPhone
isn't open is because (1) Steve is arrogant enough to think that it
could become a monoculture like iPod and (2) even Steve isn't arrogant
enough to think that an open-ish iPhone monoculture would be secure
against viruses and (3) Steve knows that a virus-laden iPhone would
make people realize that OSX is secure primarily because it is a small
target, not because it is magically more secure.)

* Open Source *clients* for SL mean ~0, esp. since the protocol was
well on the way to being reversed anyway. There must be servers for
the open sourcing to be really meaningful. Despite this, SL is big and
just going to get bigger, at least until Google Earth supplants it.

But yeah, otherwise... it isn't a bad time to be a technophile.

Luis (very interested in openmoko:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/001586.html
)