[FoRK] Re: Surfing the memestream as usual; righteous swells induce continuous endorphin rush

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Wed Jan 24 03:32:08 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:03:17PM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Just in case you missed the point, peeps:  the point is "HACKABLE
> PHONE, MASS MARKETED, BIG TELCO PARTNERS, SHORT-TERM INNOVATION-

How's hackable? You're stuck with the slimmed down OS X (enforced
with DRM from hell, no doubt), and no way to load your apps, unless
blessed by St. Joabs hisself. There's free SDK for Symbian, and
lots of apps, open source included.

> PROTECTED."  Unless you felt like dropping $600 on an ugly green
> Trolltech brick, or angst-ing every time you saw a vaporware rumor of
> a forthcoming Linux RAZR, or buying one of only a few other overly-

Hey, the next phone I'm buying better have a Linux kernel I could
reflash, and a r/w file system with lots of busybox stuff on it.
My current phone has a 1.3 MPixel camera, 1 GByte flash space and
can run python. It also pairs up with a Bluetooth GPS (with a navigation
software to match) and a headset, does play mp3s and god knows what
else, since I don't bother to load it with apps, and can run Python.

The phone was much less expensive than the iPhone when I bought it.

> expensive under-powered phones --- with proprietary drivers and
> undocumented APIs --- you really effectively couldn't hack your
> phone, before this.  And MASS MARKETED means that it's not a niche

The only way you can hack that thing if you can slice off Steve
at his knees.

> thing, anymore;  phone hack-ability now goes mainstream.  This drives
> innovation.  The stack bursts open.  Ecosystem for sophisticated p2p
> apps and hardware.

There won't be any p2P on mobile platforms as long as 3G isn't
flat rodent, and the battery drain doesn't limit runtime for a
couple hours.

> This is an important point.
>
> This is wild.
>
> $0.02,
>
> jb
>
> PS - I've been waiting for reality to catch up to this point since
> 1994, when I thought --- perhaps --- General Magic was going to be
> the company to make this happen in the mid-late 90s, and built a
> company around putting their OS and partners' gear on the Internet in
> a real, non-AT&T-mediated way.

You know the bit about wishes and equines.