[FoRK] 100 mile diet...
<aaron at bavariati.org> on
Thu Jan 25 12:01:55 PST 2007
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 02:07:27PM -0800, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Interesting. The idea being, if you can't pull this off and something
> really bad happens to the economy, you've probably already starved to death.
* 100 miles is a long way to transport your food if trucks aren't running.
* Vancouver has an unusually nice climate for year-round gardening.
* BC promotes local farming and has a strict farmland-preservation policy.
* For a SW US perspective, read Gary Nabham's _Coming Home To Eat_.
* For a personal experience, get a CSA.
* For extra credit, ask at feed-stores and butchers about locally-raised meat.
Grateful to have married an ag geek,
More information about the FoRK