[FoRK] 100 mile diet...

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Thu Jan 25 15:45:56 PST 2007

Late to the thread but these observations....

Here in the portland OR area there are lots of local 100 mile
foodstuffs though I doubt anyone would say that a population such as
ours could sustain itself on it and maintain the status quo of
society.

Which might be a point to consider.

Not to get all James Burke here but it is because of how we have moved
across this land mass, all land masses in fact, that our society is
what it is in many regards. Take away the diversity of nutritional
resources, the trade routes that bring influxes of new ideas and
cultures as well as things like spice and turkeys, the industry that
is made to support those routes....well things begin to look a lot
less like us.

Which, again, might be a point to consider.

-tom(it is because of the three pronged fork that we have the mars rover)higgins