[FoRK] 100 mile diet...

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Thu Jan 25 15:55:47 PST 2007

On 1/25/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Late to the thread but these observations....
>
> Here in the portland OR area there are lots of local 100 mile
> foodstuffs though I doubt anyone would say that a population such as
> ours could sustain itself on it and maintain the status quo of
> society.
>
> Which might be a point to consider.
>
> Not to get all James Burke here but it is because of how we have moved
> across this land mass, all land masses in fact, that our society is
> what it is in many regards. Take away the diversity of nutritional
> resources, the trade routes that bring influxes of new ideas and
> cultures as well as things like spice and turkeys, the industry that
> is made to support those routes....well things begin to look a lot
> less like us.
>
> Which, again, might be a point to consider.

Yah. Some further data points/things to consider:

(1) We (Krissa and I) can actually do a pretty decent job on the 100
mile rule right here in Manhattan.
(2) We (Krissa, I, and the other several million of us on the island)
could never, ever sustain ourselves on a 100 mile rule.
(3) A world without Manhattan would be a better place.
(4) A world without Manhattan would also be a much, much worse place.
There is a lot to be said for getting several million people together
in one very small place and letting them go at it for a couple hundred
years. All kinds of interesting things happen that wouldn't if we were
still tied to our farms.

Luis